Chief financial officer
California Wellness Foundation
Education and Nonprofit
The CFO will steward the financial health of Cal Wellness and serve as a key strategic advisor to the President and CEO. Leading a five-member finance team, the CFO’s responsibilities will include but not be limited to Foundation Leadership
- As a member of the Executive Management Committee (EMC), participate in setting the strategic direction of Cal Wellness, proactively raise strategic issues, make recommendations, and collaborate to support the continued evolution of the organization.
- Mentor and develop individuals and teams, manage work allocation, provide performance feedback and professional development, and support positive team dynamics.
- Ensure the Finance team is recognized by Foundation staff, management and Board as a trusted, reliable and active partner in achieving strategic goals and objectives.
- Represent Cal Wellness in the philanthropic sector and to external audiences. Speak at events to share Cal Wellness’ investment strategies and initiatives to advance DEI in finance. Strong Financial Systems and Controls.
- Develop, implement and evaluate Finance team activities, maintaining compliance and internal controls and managing risk. Oversee the day-to-day accounting for grants and investments, general accounting matters, payroll, and financial operations.
- Oversee and participate in the preparation of audits, tax returns and all financial filings required by law, as well as ongoing monitoring of budgets and spending.
- In partnership with the Vice President of Operations, identify and implement technology tools to improve efficiency and effectiveness of finance operations and monitor laws and regulations impacting the financial operations of private foundations. Recommend processes and strategies that address related requirements. Board Relations, Stewardship of Financial Assets and Alignment of Investment Operations
- In partnership with the Board, CEO and management colleagues, shape Cal Wellness’ financial policies and strategies to reflect the Foundation’s vision, mission and beliefs.
- Participate in all Board meetings, serve as the main liaison to the Board’s Finance and Audit Committees, and attend all Board meetings.
- Design and implement a high-functioning management model to leverage relationships with three external investment advisors (for the main portfolio, the mission-related investment portfolio, and program-related investments).
- In partnership with external investment advisors, provide effective monitoring and reporting on investment performance and strategic recommendations on investment strategies and approaches to the CEO, Finance Committee and Board of Directors.
- A minimum of ten (10) years of strategic leadership and career growth in a finance function at a complex and relevant organization (e.g. a foundation, large nonprofit, university, audit/consulting firm, etc.).
- Clear record of achievement in financial and investment management and experience with the intersection of finance, investment, accounting, and compliance related to private foundation grantmaking and mission related investing.
- Demonstrated effectiveness in managing substantial financial assets comparable to Cal Wellness’ endowment.
- Strong knowledge and skills related to financial accounting and reporting standards such as defined by the Financial Accounting Standards Board or equivalent entities.
- Experience effectively managing relationships with investment consultants and asset managers. Experience with mission-related and impact investing is a plus.
- Success in managing, training, developing, and directing finance and accounting staff; ability to motivate staff to achieve goals through individual and team supervision, performance management, coaching, and professional development.
- Experience in change management or organizational development is a plus.
- An advanced degree in business administration, finance, investments, or related field, or equivalent skills and experience.
Senior Executive (President, CEO, CFO, CIO, COO)